November 20, 2009

Vegetable Couscous


This is my first ever Couscous dish.
Couscous is a dish consisting of spherical granules made by rolling and shaping moistened semolina wheat (sweet corn in Brazil) and then coating them with finely ground wheat flour( Wikipedia).
Ok..so definitions done...now lets talk about my experiment with this dish!!!
Well, I bought this pack but had no idea what to do with it..So I googled and googled to get something that is easy to make since it is my first try. I did get a lot of wonderful recipes but the thing is half the time I didnt have all the ingredients. So I decided to make my own but the concept is all borrowed. The best one I got is from jeena's kitchen!!
So here we go...

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup Couscous (Instant one)
  • 1 1/2 cup Water
  • 1 small Onion chopped
  • 1/2 cup diced carrot (U can use peas,Red peppers, Green Peppers, didnt have any)
  • 1/4 cup cooked black eyed beans
  • 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
  • 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
  • 1/2 tbsp chilie powder
  • 1/4 cup green onion for garnish
  • 1/4 cup chicken stock
  • Salt
  • Oil

METHOD:
  • In another pan boil 1 1/2 cup water on medium flame. Add a little salt and about a 1 tbsp of oil.
  • Add the couscous and close the lid. Turn the flame to low. Let it cook for 5 minutes.
  • After 5 minute, turn off the flame and just fluff the couscous.Close the lid and let it sit for another 2-3 minute
Meanwhile we will make the gravy for the Couscous.
  • In a pan, heat some oil. Add the chopped onion and  saute till its very soft.
  • Add the ginger garlic paste and stir for 2-3 minutes.
  • Add the garam masala, chillie powder and mix well.
  • Add the veggies in and stir for 2-3 minute
  • Add the stock and let the veggies cook.Check for salt.
  •  Once the vegetables are cooked add this gravy to the couscous and mix well.
  • Garnish with spring onion or corriander leaves.
I served this with nice mutton roast and Yorkshire Pudding . The recipe which I will post sooooon....
Serve mutton Olathiyath with this and a nice salad.