Parippu vada is a popular evening snack to have with tea in kerala. I remember growing up we used to get this from a thattu kada near by. Man,It's really crunchy and yummy treat!
Have it with a cup of hot tea in this cold weather!!
- 2 cups - Thuvar dal or Channa dal ( I have used channa dal )
- shallots 10- 12 chopped
- Green chili, 2-3 finely chopped
- 1tbsp - Ginger , grated
- Curry leaves, few finely chopped
- Astafoeida- pinch
- cumin powder 1/2 tsp
- chilie powder 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 tsp baking soda (optional, Mine came out very crispy outside and soft inside)
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil to deep fry
- Soak dal for 2 - 3 hours. Drain well. There should not be any water.Else you wont be ablw to make patties and it kinda breaks too,happened to me in my first try.
- In a food processor or blender, add little at a time some soaked dal and grind. The dal should be ground to a coarse paste - Even if there are dals not ground its fine.
- Pour oil in a wok or kadai to deep fry. Heat oil on medium heat.
- In the mean time,mix the chopped onion, chopped green chili, chili powder,ginger, curry leaves,cumin powder,astafoeida and mix well. Add salt to taste.
- Wet your palms and take small amount of the dal mixture and make a ball. Place in the center of the palm and flatten to a round shape.
- When the oil is hot, slide the vada's into the hot oil and fry on both sides to a golden brown colour. Remove from oil and drain.
- Serve these crisp parippu vada with some chutney and hot tea.
What I did is. I took some tamrind paste, few shallots,green cilie, and blended it with water to a thick consistency. Added salt and chopped corriander. I dont exactly know the measurments.