October 28, 2009
Honey Almond Date Balls
• 1/2 pound raw almonds
• 2 pints pitted dates,
• 1/4 cup honey
• Vegetable oil, for forming balls
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
• Grind almond in a food processor until finely chopped. Transfer to a baking sheet and toast in oven for 5 to 7 minutes, until fragrant and a shade darker.
• Roughly chop dates and add to food processor. Pulse until finely chopped and dates form a ball. Remove from processor to a bowl. Add half of the ground almonds to the dates, leaving the reserved almonds on the baking pan to roll the balls in once formed.
• Add honey to the date and almond mixture. Mix together until evenly incorporated and smooth. Coat hands with some vegetable oil so that mixture does not stick too much and form mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls.
• Roll each ball in chopped almonds to coat well. [I did not have any more extra almonds to coat].
• Place in a tightly sealed container until ready to eat. Any leftover chopped nuts for coating can be sprinkled over the balls to keep them from sticking together if transporting. Will keep for up to 5 days at room temperature or up to a week, if refrigerated.
For another twisted effect you could try rolling the balls in toasted coconut flaks.