January 2, 2010

Vegetable Biryani




I am not such a big fan of vegetable biryani..I mean really when you have all our wonderful chicken and mutton biryani, why settle for veggie biryani. But one fine morning my husband said to me "saju, I want to eat vegetable birayni today". I was like what the????  I told him I will make chicken biryani but he insisted on veggie biryani. My head started spinning oh my..what am I going to do..I cant eat veggie biryani.No non-veg this is going to be really hard. So how did I do...well I sneaked in some Tilapia fry as a side..he he he!!

INGREDIENTS:

For the rice
  • Basmati Rice -11/2 cup soaked in water for 30 minute
  • Bay leaf 1
  • Cloves- 3
  • Cardamom -1 crushed
  • Cinnamon stick- 1 small piece
  • Shahi jeera - 1 tsp
  • Green chilie- 2 split
  • Salt to taste

For the Gravy

  • Mixed vegetables - 11/2 cup ( peas, carrots, beans, corn, broccoli)
  • Potatoes 2 medium ( cut into bite sized cubes and half cooked, I used the microwave)
  • Onion  3 medium finely chopped
  • Tomato  2 medium finely chopped
  • Garlic paste 1 tbsp
  • Ginger paste 1 tbsp
  • Green chilies -3 slit
  • Garam masala - 1/2 tbsp + a little more sprinkling
  • Coriander powder 1tbsp
  • Turmeric powder 1/4 tbsp
  • Red chilie powder - 1/2 tbsp ( depending on your taste
  • Yogurt - 2 tbsp
  • Corriander leaves - 1 cup finely chopped
  • mint leaves- 1/4 cup
  • Lime juice 2 tbsp
  • Salt
  • Oil/Ghee

METHOD:

Preparing the gravy

  • In a vessel, saute the onion till translucent.
  • Add the ginger garlic paste and the chilie and saute for 2 minutes.
  • Add the tomatoes and salt and let it cook well.
  • Add the chilie powder, turmeric powder, corriander powder, 1/2 tbsp garam masala and mix well.
  • Add the cooked potato and let it cook for 5 minute.
  • Add the rest of the veggies and cook till its tender.
  • Add the yogurt and the chopped corriander and mint leaves.
  • Cook for 2 minutes and remove the flame and keep the vessel closed.

For the Rice

  • Boil about 5 cups water in a big vessel. Add the whole masalas, chilie,salt and a tbsp of oil into the water.
  • When the water boils add the soaked and drained rice into the water.
  • Let the rice cook toll it is 3/4 th done. Stir in between.
  • When done drain and keep aside.
Layering

  • In a thick bottomed pot, spread some oil at the bottom.
  • Take half the rice and spread to the bottom of the vessel.
  • Add half lemon juice and  sprinkle little garam masala.
  • Add the vegetable masala over the rice.
  • Add the remaining rice ontop of the masla.
  • Add a little lemon juice and sprinkle the garam masala on top.
  • Cover with a very tight lid. If the lid is not tight enough use an aluminium foil and cover the mouth of the pot well with it.
  • Heat on a very low flame for 10 minutes.
  • Mix well before serving

Enjoy with nice coconut chamanthi, pickle,raita and for the crazy non veg's like me have some fish fry or chicken tikka BBQ.