January 16, 2010

Stir Fried Yam ( Chena porichath)




This is one of the dish that no matter how much u make it will never be enough. In my house this gets over in a jiffy. We pile this up to our sides of the plate somethimes even more than we actually need else it will end up in afight over" she took more than me" !
I tend to buy the precleaned and frozen yam. Its a little hectic to remove the skin of the yam as it causes itching. If you are using fresh yam make sure you remove the skin wearing a gloves. I have seen my mom apply some oil on her hand before she cleans it. But it didnt work for me, so from that day onwards I left my relationship with fresh yam. Frozen yams...is just as good!!

INGREDIENTS:
  • Cleaned and cut ( bite size) Yam - 11 oz ( my packet weighed this much)
  • 1 tbsp Kashmiri chillie powder ( use according to ur taste)
  • 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
  • Salt as needed
  • Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
  • Thinly sliced onions 1/2 cup
  • Curry leaves a few
  • Oil 1/4 cup


METHOD:

  • Combine the Chilie powder, turmeric powder, salt and yam together with very little water.Keep aside for 10 minutes.
  • Heat oil in non-stick pan or kadai. Splutter the mustard seeds.
  • Add the curry leaves and the onions and saute for 1 minute.
  • Add the Yam and fry till the yam turns a golden brown color stirring in between. 
Remove from flame and serve as a side to plain rice....or like my son you can just eat it as!!