This is one of the dish that no matter how much u make it will never be enough. In my house this gets over in a jiffy. We pile this up to our sides of the plate somethimes even more than we actually need else it will end up in afight over" she took more than me" !
I tend to buy the precleaned and frozen yam. Its a little hectic to remove the skin of the yam as it causes itching. If you are using fresh yam make sure you remove the skin wearing a gloves. I have seen my mom apply some oil on her hand before she cleans it. But it didnt work for me, so from that day onwards I left my relationship with fresh yam. Frozen yams...is just as good!!
- Cleaned and cut ( bite size) Yam - 11 oz ( my packet weighed this much)
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri chillie powder ( use according to ur taste)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt as needed
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Thinly sliced onions 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves a few
- Oil 1/4 cup
- Combine the Chilie powder, turmeric powder, salt and yam together with very little water.Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in non-stick pan or kadai. Splutter the mustard seeds.
- Add the curry leaves and the onions and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the Yam and fry till the yam turns a golden brown color stirring in between.