How is the weather around your place? Man, it’s so cold here now days. I remember last year this time it wasn’t this cold. Heard in the news something about the arctic cycle or something. Eeeeeeeeeh..it will be more cold this week!!
- 1 cup blanched (skinless) whole almonds, toasted and chopped coarsely
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Toast almonds for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and then chop coarsely. Set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl lightly beat the eggs and extracts together. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer) combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Beat until blended (about 30 seconds). Gradually add the egg mixture and beat until a dough forms, adding almonds about halfway through.
- On a lightly floured surface roll dough into a log about 14 inches long and 3 - 4 inches wide. (yes, i used a measuring tape)
- Transfer log to the prepared baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until firm to the touch (log will spread during baking).
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer log to a cutting board and, using a serrated knife, cut log into slices 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) thick on the diagonal. Arrange evenly on baking sheet.
- Bake 10 minutes, turn slices over, and bake another 10 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Store in an airtight container.