- Fish - 1/2 kg Cleaned and cut into medium pieces(I used spanish mackrel)
- Onion chopped - 1 medium
- Tomato chopped 1
- ginger and garlic finely chopped - 1 tsp
- Green chiles slit lengthwise - 3 to 5 depending on ur taste
- turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Kodampuli-/coccum- 2-3 cleaned and soaked in 1 cup water
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 11/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds
- Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
For roasting coconut
- Grated coconut - 1 cup
- Curry leaves
- Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
- 2 small pieces of red chillie flakes
Making the Roasted coconut paste
- In frying pan, heat a little oil, Then add the fenugreek seeds, curry leaves and the chillie flakes.
- Then add the grated coconut and keep stirring till u get a light brow color and the aroma fills the room.
- Add 1/2 tsp chilie powder 1/2 tsp corriander powder ,Roast it for a few more seconds
- Grind the mix into a smooth paste with very little water. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.when they splutter add curry leaves, 2-3 green chiles, ginger and garlic, and stir them for 2 minutes
- Add chopped onion and sauté till it is pinkish color
- Add the tomato and saute till it is soft.
- Add the turmeric powder , 1 tsp corriander powder and the kudampuli along with its water.
- Bring to a boil. add the fish pieces and add salt.Cover and cook for about 8-10 minutes on medium low flame.
- Add the roasted coconut paste, rest of the green chilie and mix well. make sure u dont break the fish.
- Cook till the gravy gets thickened.If u need more gravy add a little more water. But thick gravy tastes good.
- Check for salt.