October 25, 2009

Coconut Flan


Flan....hmmm..who doesnt love flan. That jiggley wiggley thing.Melt in your mouth sweet treat perfect for any occassion.
 I never knew what Flan was, I mean didnt know that name..I always thought that it was called Caramel custard or Cream Caramel. I ordered this curious dessert "Flan".on one of my valentine date with my hubby.
When they brought out this soo called Flan, I was so perplexed. I kept telling my husband there has been a mixup this is not flan This is Caramel custard.I demanded to call back the waiter but he laughed and said "dear This is Flan. I have had it many times." thank god I didnt call the waiter. It would have been a real embarassment.So that is how I came to know this famous Flan is just our own Caramel custard in a very fancy name.
This is a recipe that I got from Paula's home cooking. I followed the recipe as such.
The only problem is I couldnt get it out of the pan properly.It broke!!! I think I should have let it sit for a while but what can I do ,I had two eager mouths waiting to try this out.
From the moment Ayaan so me breaking the eggs he started crying out for cake. And every 5 minutes he would come and ask me "Cake aayo?"[ cake done?] with an encouragment from his pappa who was just as eager to get his hands on it. But even with all the breaking of the flan it did taste divine. The coconut flakes in it gave a very nice bite.

Coconut flan

INGREDIENTS

•1/3 cup sugar for caramelizing
•3 eggs
•1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
•1 1/2 cups coconut milk
•2 teaspoons vanilla extract
•1/4 cup shredded coconut flakes ( I used sweetened)
•1/4 cup shredded coconut flakes, toasted, for garnish


METHOD
  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
  • In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the sugar until it caramelizes. Pour it into a flan dish, pie plate or round souffle baking dish with shallow sides, swirling it around to coat the bottom.
  • In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs until foamy with a wire whisk. Beat in the condensed milk, coconut milk, vanilla extract and 1/4 cup coconut. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Bake it a water bath in the oven.Set the dish into a large baking pan with sides and carefully pour water around the flan pan to come 2/3 the way up the sides. Carefully transfer to the preheated oven. Bake for about 1 hour, until the flan is set and the center only jiggles a little bit, like a cheesecake would.
  • Remove from the oven and water-bath and allow to COOL COMPLETELY. Turn the flan out onto a flat serving platter. Cut into slices for serving.
 I missed the "cool completely" step!!!!