October 1, 2009

Black Eye Peas Fritters










I was making a groccery list for the week and I came upon a pack of frozen black eye peas staring at me from the farthest corner in the fridge. I tried to ignore it and work my way thru but I could hear it cry out "Please make something out of me.Dont leave me in this cold chamber.What ever did I do to you?"
Pavam..I felt pity for it.I mean come on how long can one stay frozen.So i decided.."Inn ithine kond enthengilum undakitt thanne karyam (I will make somethng out of it)".
I took the peas out of the freezer laid it on my countertop and stared back at it. So what do I make out of you. Not the same old curries and upperi's. Suddenly a  flash. "Paula's home cooking". I remember her making a black eye peas cake out of it..no no..not our normal baked cake! The Fritters!
I didnt recall the recipe and I was in no mood to browse for it!
so I made up my own...I must say it did come out well...


Ingredients:
I just eye balled the ingredients..tasted and added watever I thought was missing. So this is just a rough estimate..

  • Cooked Black eye Peas - 2 cup (You can se the canned ones too)


  • Onion -1 cup ( finely chopped)


  • Garlic- 3 chopped


  • Red chillie powder- . 1 tsp


  • Garam masala - 1/2 tsp


  • 1/4 cup roasted red pepper


  • All purpose flour- enough to bind the patties


  • Salt- to season


  • Oil- for fying

For coating:
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups seasoned bread crumbs

Method:

  • In a deep bottom pan add some oil. When its hot add the chopped onion and saute till soft.Then add the garllic and saute for a while. Add the red chillie pder, salt and garam masala and suate well. Add the peas and the roasted red peppers and mix well. Remove from fire and let it cool for a while.


  • When its cooled mash the Peas using a fork. Dont mash the Peas completely. Add Enough flour to bind the mixture ( I just added 2 tbsp). Mix.


  • Make patties with the peas  and set aside.


  • Beat an egg well. Take one of the patties dip in the egg and coat it with  bread crumbs. Coat all the patties.


  • Deep fry the patties in oil.


Serve with salsa or any other condiment of your choice.


 









Hope you enjoy it!!!