October 23, 2009

Asparagus Thoran

Yes..yes..thats right! Its Asparagus in an Indain form.

I dont like vegetables much. When I was a kid I would always do my best to avoid the vegtables and my mom would force me to have them.I used to sneak the veggies into her plate when she wasnt watching or else it would end up for the chickens to eat .But since I am a mom now and want my kid to eat healthy foods I started to eat them so that I could be an example. But its the same old story, the routine continues with I forcing him to eat and he putting them back to my plate.
I had this dish from Biji's house but never bothered to give it a try until now.

INGREDIENTS:
  • Asparagus - 15 spears 
  • Shredded coconut - 1/2 cup 
  • Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp 
  • Turmeric powder - a pinch 
  • Green chillies - 2 to 3 
  • Shallots -  4, sliced thin or can use half an onion thinly sliced 
  • Curry leaves - a few 
  • Oil
  • Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp 
  • Salt - to taste 
METHOD:

  • Wash and remove the hard end of the spears and cut the remaing part into small pieces.Keep aside.
  • In a pan add some oil and splutter the mustard seeds.
  • Add the onion,curry leaves,slit chillies and saute for a few seconds.
  • Add the cut asparagus. Add the turmeric powder, cumion powder and salt. Mix well.
  • Let it cook in medium low flame for few minutes. give it an occassional stir.
  • Add the shredded coconut. Mix well.
  • Check for salt. Let the Asparagus cook for 8- 10 minutes or till done!