December 16, 2009

Kerala Beef fry



This is one of my favorite beef recipes. Erachi porichathum porattem..yum yumm..it tastes so good. During hostel days we used to have this from our canteen like everyday. There used to be four of us and just one plate of food. And we always ended up fighting for the last piece. Our pockets were always empty by the end of the week spending it mostly on food (hostel food was yuck!!), shoes, and gifts. So had to be stingy, till the next flow of cash came.


College days were a blast. Would love to relive those days again exactly the same way. No changes at all (OK maybe one or two changes).but most of the part It was just fun and exciting. Couldn’t wait to wake up and get to class. Not to hear the lecture of the teachers but just to be with my friends. My wonderful friends! Life would not be the same without them.

The worst classes I ever took I think was statistics used to wonder what the hell am I going to do with statistic in computer programming???? The teacher used to enter thru one door and we used to leave thru the back door. And it had to be done in the precise time. The moment she puts her one foot in we had to be out! Else we will be caught. Although I must say I have never been caught!! He he he…No No I wasn’t a bad student I always got good grades. It’s just that I hated that particular class!! But when the exams approached how I wish I had attended the class coz I couldn’t understand anything. But then again, I had my friends to help me out. Those late night discussions and early morning study classes did great for us! Such wonderful memories!!



Anyways coming back to the recipe,Even though i love beef my husbnd doesnt take it  much so dont make it often.  But my cus, Shehi ,send me the picture yesterday after she made the beef fry. So decided to take advantage of her beutiful pic and post it!

Here is the recipe

INGREDIENTS:


• Beef 1/2 kg

• Onion 1 big, sliced finely

To marinate:

o Chili powder 1/2 tbsp

o Coriander powder 1 tbsp

o Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp

o Pepper 2 tsp

o Ginger & garlic paste 1 tbsp, crushed

o Garam Masala 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp for sprinkling

o Bite size coconut pieces (thengakothu) – 1/4 cup

o salt



• Coconut oil

• Green chilies -2-3

• Curry leaves

• Lemon juice 1 tsp.



METHOD:

• Marinate the beef with all the ingredients under “To marinate” for one hour.

• In a pressure cooker add the marinated beef and the onions and half a cup of water and cook till it is done

• In a frying pan, add some coconut oil and add the curry leaves, coconut slices andthe green chilies . Sauté for 1 minute.

• Add the cooked beef along with the water.

• Sauté till all the water is gone and all the masala gets coated onto the beef on a low medium flame. Sprinkle ½ tsp of garam masala.

• When the beef turns dark brown add 1 tsp of lemon juice, Mix well and remove from flame.

Serve with roti, poratta or rice