I got this recipe from Oprah Magazine followed it as such. I added a little chilie sauce to make it a little spicy!
- 1 1/2 cups white rice flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups cold club soda
- 2 tbsp chilie sauce ( optional)
- 2 pounds large shrimp , shelled and deveined
- 4 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 3 quarts vegetable or canola oil
- Line 2 cookie sheets with waxed paper or plastic wrap.
- In a large bowl, whisk rice flour, all-purpose flour and salt to combine. Add club soda and whisk until smooth. Mixture should have consistency of pancake batter; add more club soda if necessary.
- Spread coconut on a plate.
- Pat shrimp dry with paper towels; add to batter and toss to coat.
- Remove shrimp from batter one at a time, letting excess drip off. Dredge in coconut.
- Place on prepared cookie sheets. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate while oil heats, or up to 4 hours.
- Pour oil into heavy-bottom pot.
- Heat oil over medium-low heat .
- Carefully drop shrimp into oil, about 8 at a time and fry until golden brown and just cooked through, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels, skimming coconut from oil between batches.