My son is a big fan of chappati's since a few days( not sure how long it will last). He needs chappati for breakfast, Lunch an dinner. He will come up to me and say" Mommy, Givmme chapti pease". If I ask him what he wants with chapti his answer is always egg! But then one time he said "mommy no egg. Ayaan eat fish!!" Wow was I surpried that day! A big long sentence!! So I took out a Tilapia fillet and just marinated it with a little chilie powder and salt and stuffed it into his chapti.He really did enjoy it!! My husband on seeing this said he too wants fish stuffed chapti. So this is how I ended up making this dish!This is a big hit now.Both pappa and son loves it! I sometimes try adding some veggies into it. but my son always fugures it out and will pick out the carrots and peas. So now I smash them so well that he cant find it!
This is the recipe.
For the masala.
- Tilapia- 5 big fillets ( Can use any fish u like )
- Onion- 1 medium finely chopped
- Tomato-1 small chopped
- Green Bell Pepper 1 small ( Remove the seeds and Chopped, OPTIONAL)
- Ginger Garlic paste 1 Tbsp
- Green chillie 3-4 grounded to a paste.
- Tuirmeric powder 1/4 tbsp
- Chilie powder 1/2 tbsp ( Depending on yor taste)
- Corrinader powder 1 tbsp
- Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp, divided
- salt as needed
For the dough
- Atta -3 cups
- salt as neeed
- oil 1 tbsp
- Warm water to mix the dough (a little more than 1/2 cup)
Making the dough.
- Mix the Atta with salt and oil. Slowly add the warm water to the flour and knead well to forma a mass. The dough should be formed into a nonsticky elastic and smooth mass. Keep aside!
- Marinate the fish with the chilie powder, 1/2 the garam masala and salt and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet, add the Fish and cook till its done. Remove from pan and keep aside.
- In the same pan add the chopped onions and cook till it is soft and translucent.
- Add the ginger,garlic and chilie paste and saute for a few minutes.
- Add the coriander powder,Tumeric powder , salt and the remaining garam masala and mix well.
- Add the tomato and the Bell pepper and cook till the tomato is really soft and the bell pepper is cooked well.
- Add the fish fillets and break the fish into small piece with the spoon.Mix well.
- Cover and cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Remove from flame and let it cool.
- Take a small lemon sized ball and roll it out into thin circles abbout 5 inch in diameter. Move this on to a plate.
- Take 2 large spoons of the fish masala and spread it on the rolled out roti.Spread it evenly.
- Roll out another roti to a size as of the first.
- Place this roti on top of the first roti layerd with the masala. Using your finger press the edges of the roti and seal it well.(This will make the roti to puff up well and get cooked inside.)
- Slightly roll the roti using the pin again.
- Repeat the proces with the remaining dough and masala.
- Preheat a tava on medium heat and grease it with little oil.
- Gently lift the stuffed chapati and place it on the tava. Let it cook for 30- 45 seconds.
- Apply some oil on the uncooked side and turn the roti. Let it cook till u can see it slightly puff up then turn it again.
- Slightly press the edges so the edges are also cooked. The roti will puff up very nicely. Remove from flame. Repeat the process with the rest of the roti's.
Kristy of My little space has passed this award to me.Thank you kristy for sharing this award with me. I would like to share this award with all my fellow bloggers. Thank you everybody!