December 21, 2009

Healthy Sardine fry




These days everybody is into healthy eating. But I must confess its something that is very hard for me to do. Every day I will tell my hubby "You know what, no more junk foods from today. We will eat only healthy foods". He will give me a smile and say "Ok dear, as you say"!! Wondering what the smiles for!!!
Well behind that smile is all the unspoken dialogues. The smile can be translated into something like this " Oh how many times have i heard you say this. There is no way that u can go more than 2 days without eating something junk. hmmm..healthy eating ha ha ha !!!" This is whats behind that innocent little smile of his.
Its true yaar! Very hard for me to control. I go out Il get packets of chips, donuts, and that cute little cupcakes and everything else. and biggest of all cheese burger and fries!! man i just love that it.
I keep telling my mom abtout this nad she says you need to control especially since we have a history of high cholestrol in th e family. Then its moms advise, use less oil in food dont eat from outside, avoid red meat, dont eat fried thinsgs and the list goes on. So my mom gave me this recipe of Sardine fry which use no oil at all and I must say its delicious. Even my kido ate 3 piece of the fish!!!

Ingredients:

  • Cleaned Sardines -  6
  • Medium onion chopped -1
  • Medium Tomato finely chopped -1
  • Ginger chopped- 1 tsp
  • Garlic chopped 1 tsp
  • Red chiliy powder -1 tbsp or as per ur taste
  • Turmeric powder- 1/4 tbsp
  • Curry leaves- a few
  • Salt as needed
Method:
  • Grind the chilie powder, turmeric, salt, curry leaves,ginger and garlic into a smooth paste without adding any water.
  • Add the finely chopped tomatoes to this paste. Mix well. The mixture will be a little watery
  • Take the sardines and make slits on the sides of the fish.
  • Apply the made paste on the fish and marinate for 15- 30 minutes.
  • Heat a large non stick pan on medium flame.
  • Add the chopped onions into the pan and saute for 2 minutes.
  • Reduce flame to low.
  • Now take the sardines one by one and lay it over the sauted onions.
  • Add the remaining masala on top of the fish.
  • Turn the fish after 1 minute. Keep turning the fish every 1- 11/2 minutes till all the masala gets coated on the fishand the fish turns to brown color.
  • Remove from flame and serve as a side to rice