Ok. What is the correct English word for chutta Chicken??? I am not sure. Anyways this is the recipe for chutta kozhi which is marinated chicken wrapped up in banana leaf and then cooked in hot coal. But unfortunately I did not have banana leaf so I wrapped up mine in aluminum foil. I guess that makes the taste a lot different. But alt hose who are lucky enough to get a banana leaf please do make it in that. This recipe was obtained from the Pachakam magazine.
This recipe is a little time consuming but the result is very good. And even though the name says that it is chuttta (BBQ) chicken. It’s still cooked half way thru on the stove in a mann chatti (pot made of clay). My son and hubby loved it
1. Chicken - 1 pound2. Oil- 3 tbsp
3. Shallots (cut into medium pieces) – ¾ cup
Ginger paste – 1 tbsp
Garlic paste – 11/2 tbsp
Curry leaves – 5 twigs
4. Garam masala Powder 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
Pepper powder – ½ tsp
Salt as needed
Chilly powder – 1 tbsp (use according to ur taste)
Coriander Powder – ½ tbsp
Fennel Powder (Perumjeeragam) – ¾ tbsp
5. Water – 2 tbsp
Vinegar – 1 tsp
6. Tomato -2 finely chopped
7. Light coconut milk – little less than ¾ cup
8. Onion – 2 medium cut into rounds
Curry leaves 6 twigs
• Clean the chicken pieces and make slits on them.
• In a clay pot, heat the oil and add all the ingredients under 3 and sauté them till very soft
• Meanwhile mix the ingredients under 4 with water and vinegar into a paste.
• Add this into the sautéed masala and mix well.
• Add the chopped tomatoes and sauté well till oil starts to separates
• Add the coconut milk and the chicken pieces and mix well. On a medium flame cook till the chicken is ¾th done and the masala get s coated on the chicken.
• Remove from flame and keep aside.
• In a big banana leaf (Aluminum foil) apply some oil. Layer half the onion rings and the curry leaves. Place the chicken and all the masala from the pot on this. Place the remaining onion rings and curry leaves on top of the chicken. Wrap up the leaf/foil well and place it in the hot coal (use your BBQ grill, coal burning one) for 10- 15 minutes.
• Alternatively place it in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.