My husband : “why do you need valentines day? You can tell someone that you love them everyday, why do u need a special day for that. This is just to boost the profits of the card companies”
ME:”There is nothing wrong in having a special day to say someone you love them. Telling someone how much they mean to you on a valentines day is just romantic”
Hubby: so telling that I love you every other day has no importance…is not romantic...it’s not special?
ME: Yes, of course that is important but on a day when its made for love, why not say it...and maybe say it a little more differently…maybe with some flowers or gifts…a surprise?
Hubby: “then where is the spontaneity in that. You know its valentines day and you are expecting something...so that is not special…I am not going to get you anything today.
Yes, it’s always the same…oh don’t worry he doesn’t win. He always comes back with a bunch of roses and a box of chocolate or at least a “Happy valentine’s day .I love you” call from work.
Isn’t that what love is all about…Taking time to show that you care for the things that I care. Love you dear!
So for my Sweet Heart… your favorite sweet.
- 1 cup Gram (Besan) flour, sift to remove any lumps
- 11/4 cup ghee, melted & at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar or more depending on your taste
- 2 cardamom pods, seeds powdered
- In a heavy bottom pot, take ½ cup of water, add sugar and bring them to boil till the sugar syrup reaches one string consistency. Reduce the heat to medium low.
- Now pour the ghee and then add gram flour into the sugar syrup while stirring. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Continuously stir and cook until the ghee starts to leave the sides of the pan and the mixture starts to thicken and turns to become porous and light gold in color. Stir in the cardamom powder
- Immediately pour onto a greased tray & evenly level it out with a spatula. When it is still hot, cut into square shapes.
- I use half ghee and half oil, or at times full oil, just to get rid of the guilt that I am feeding my hubby and son a fat loaded sweet.
- One string consistency is when the sugar froms a single string when tested between your thumb and forefinger
- Remove the mixture one minute after it starts leaving the pan else you will get just crumbled up mysore pak.
- Make sure you have everything ready before you start cooking.