January 5, 2010

Almond Biscotti



How is the weather around your place? Man, it’s so cold here now days. I remember last year this time it wasn’t this cold. Heard in the news something about the arctic cycle or something. Eeeeeeeeeh..it will be more cold this week!!


 
I hate the winter like this. The only thing I feel like doing is curling up in a warm blanket with a cup of hot chocolate. And it’s not just me; it seems everybody’s appetite has increased here. Both my hubby and son will come asking for something to eat all the time. If I protest they (I mean, my hubby) have the answer ready too…”it’s the cold! It makes us hungry”.

 
So I decided to make some snacks and keep so that when they ask me for something all I have to do get them the jar. Today I made some Almond biscotti hoping it will last for at least 2 days.

 
Almond biscotti are an Italian specialty that is very crunchy and crispy. It’s best when dunked into hot coffee or tea. My son had his by dunking into a glass of warm milk. I got this recipe from joy of baking

 
 
 

INGREDIENTS:
 
  • 1 cup  blanched (skinless) whole almonds, toasted and chopped coarsely
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 cups  all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp pure almond extract

METHOD
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Toast almonds for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and then chop coarsely. Set aside.
  • Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  • In a small bowl lightly beat the eggs and extracts together. Set aside.
  • In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer) combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Beat until blended (about 30 seconds). Gradually add the egg mixture and beat until a dough forms, adding almonds about halfway through.
  • On a lightly floured surface roll dough into a log about 14 inches  long and 3 - 4 inches wide. (yes, i used a measuring tape)
  • Transfer log to the prepared baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until firm to the touch (log will spread during baking).
  •  Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes.  
  • Transfer log to a cutting board and, using a serrated knife, cut log into slices 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) thick on the diagonal. Arrange evenly on baking sheet.
  • Bake 10 minutes, turn slices over, and bake another 10 minutes or until firm to the touch.
  • Remove from oven and let cool. Store in an airtight container.